7

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Squeezing the new engine in

I have read about other people putting a XJ6 Series III engine in MK2s so I thought it would be a breeze. So I got a nasty surprise when I noticed that the inlet manifold fouled the steering column. Obviously the other success stories I have read about were LHD cars so the steering column wouldn't have caused a problem. First I thought that I would lean the engine or flatten the bottom of the Manifold through cutting and welding it. Then I found out about Andrew's engine conversion where he bought an engine with a manifold mounted upside down (http://www.jaguarhunter.org.au/Technical_Pages/MK2_EFI.htm)
This sounded like a great solution but after consulting with Andrew who has been really helpful, and also trying to mount it upside down, I realised that it would be too much work modifying the water ways and also it wouldn't leave me much room to fit an integrated Brake booster and master cylinder.
Trial and error resulted in the decision to put a 2 cm spacer underneath the right engine mount which will tilt the engine enough to clear both the steering column and the fender walls.
I just ordered my Series III Master Cylinder, booster and pedalbox from a wrecker yesterday. They are currently stripping the car so they will cut out the bit of the firewall where the pedalbox attaches. This way I will be able to weld it onto my firewall. Hopefully this will fit and give me the dual circuit brake system I require.
I will take some pictures of the engine and brake setup once it is all in place

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home