7

Thursday, March 23, 2006

What to do with the engine?

As it would be too expensive for me to get the engine restored I started to look for alternatives. The first alternative was to put in a Chevy small block V8 as the sound of a V8 is music to me. It didn't feel right though as it would not be a pure Jag anymore. Instead I sourced a 1985 4.2 liter series III engine which was restored 60,000 kms ago. It also came with a BorgWarner 66 automatic gearbox which I plan to use as the original auto is leaking heavily and needs some internal modification done to get tight. The new engine is obviously fuel injected (EFI) but I don't have the ECU or the wiring loom. I have read somewhere that it is possible to fit the SU carbs through using a Jaguar 420 compact manifold. I have decided to keep the fuel injection as I plan to use the car as my daily driver. Instead of sourcing an original (unreliable) ECU I plan to get a after market Engine Management System (EMS) to control both the fuel and the spark. I will have to run a return fuel line back to the tank. I probably also have to install a surge fuel tank to avoid starving the EFI when cornering. The new engine is still from the same family (XK produced from 1948-1986) so the engine mounts should be the same. The Series III's increased cylinder volume and the larger inlet valves together with the EFI should make a nice improvement to the performance. Unfortunately I don't know what the original performance was like as the car wasn't drivable when I bought it so I won't be able to compare. I will just have to compare it to Jaguar's original claim of 8.8 seconds for 0-60 mph for the 3.8 liter Mk 2. I assume that is for a manual car though. If anyone out there have their own real 0-100 km time for a standard 3.8 automatic then please add a comment to this post.

After investigating the prices for the branded EMS systems I have decided to buy the Megasquirt EMS. It is an open source project meaning that anyone can modify the program which control the logic of the EMS. You can even buy the electronic components and solder it yourself. Think of it as the Linux of the EMS world. I plan to buy an assembled unit rather than spending hours with a soldering iron and potentially burning some components.

Now I just have to finish restoring my 1972 Mercedes 450 SL to free up some space in the garage. I will probably not post to this blog again for few weeks...

6 Comments:

Anonymous COLIN FOX said...

Whats the latest on the restoration now - please give us an update and some more pics? Am doing a V8 conversion in the UK on my 1964 Mk2 jag

8:17 am  
Anonymous Chrysler body parts said...

The Chrysler body parts never did give names to their cars, instead consistently using letters and numbers to designate

the coupes, sedans and the SUVs. With the Chrysler body parts Q45 being the flagship sedan, the Chrysler body parts

found its place in the American market.The Nissan body parts never did give names to their cars,instead consistently

using letters and numbers to designate the coupes, sedans and the SUVs.

Thanks

Chrysler body parts

http://www.iautobodyparts.com/ Chrysler body parts

9:17 pm  
Anonymous faxy said...

a V8 is a nice choice!
got to go with those ECU driven engines that those with carbs in order to save fuel..

6:14 pm  
Anonymous Alan De Vendra said...

Hi, question:- Why the XJ brake master when the 420 dual system fits straight in?

5:16 pm  
Blogger pjl20 said...

Your request for information about the official 0-60mph acceleration time for a standard Jaguar 3.8 Mk 2
Automatic Saloon was 9.8 secs. This was recorded by Autocar magazine (of the UK)on 5 April 1962 in Road Test No. 1917. The car, although a factory demonstrator had then recorded over 52,000 miles as it's speedo mileage, so the car was not new. (Jaguar Cars believed in getting full value from it's demonstrators)

By comparison the Manual 3.8 Mk 2 tested by Autocar on 26 February 1960 gave 0-60mph in 8.5secs.

One word of caution, Jaguar produced some very fast acceleration figures for it's official demonstrator models, even when tested independently by Autocar magazine, just a hint that these may have been fitted with oversize inlet valves of 1.875in diameter instead of standard 1.75in dia. for extra power delivery.

7:39 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am interested in seeing a photograph of the head coolant manifold. As your radiator has a straight inlet tube it would be interesting what the coolant manifold tube looks like. I beleive only early MK2s had a radiator with the straight inlet tube. Thanks.

8:40 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home