7

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

The Engine is out

This project hasn't seen much action for a while now. I have had problems with my Mercedes 450SL. First I had some issues with the D-Jetronic injection trigger points. Then someone reversed into the car so I had to do some panelbeating and respray. Unfortunately the shop which did the colour matching didn't do a very good job so now the front wing is sligtly off in colour. I might have to repaint the whole car if I don't get a proper match. Does anyone know a good colour matcher in Sydney?

Anyway I had a go at getting the old engine and gearbox out which went fairly well. Some swearing and violence was all that was needed to pursuade it to clear the bodywork on its way out.


The alternative is to remove the front axle, drop the engine down and lift the rest of the car over it. I preferred the old fashioned way of lifting it out eventhough it was a struggle due to the small engine bay compared to the size of the engine.

Next on the agenda is to do a test fit of the 4.2L engine to see if any modifcations have to be done to the fender walls to make room for the Injection Manifold and aircon compressor. Thereafter I will clean and paint the engine bay before the permanent fit of the new engine.

If I have to respray the Merc this will not happen for quite some time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home